Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Something Happened - It Was Nothing


Something happened yesterday. I barely moved… didn’t read or listen to much of the CD's I checked out of the library. I didn’t write either. I just sat. I watched yet another storm roll in. The thunder clapped for a continuous ½ hour. I meditated, and meditated some more. I listened to the rain turn to hail pinging on the roof and watched the lightening forage through the darkness for the perfect place to transfer its powerful energy. Everything seemed to drop away for a few hours. No desires, no wants or longings. No fears.

Then, as if in synchronicity with the bolt of lightening, a lightening bolt went off inside. This is it. This is what I came here for. Not to read Bernie Glassman or listen to David Whyte or draw or paint or do yoga or stretch with my various colored bands of different tensions. No. None of that.
I experienced what called my soul here. No explanation is adequate or warranted, so I will not attempt to define it any more than I already have. Suffice to say, being, fully exists in not being anything... it exists in everything and it is really nothing at all. (Oh, I can see my Zen teacher now, hand to chin, and an almost audible, hum…)

So a few tears -- a moment of ananda – Sanskrit for bliss… an open heart and a long walk in the light drizzle that persisted for 2 more hours, and then, the unexpected walked across my path. The most elegant and gracious Buck I have ever seen. He paused. Looked me in the eye. Stood his own ground and allowed me the gift of a few pictures.
I realized that the unexpected is worth a thousand words and in the silence... it is even more welcome.
Today, I truly see with new eyes through a lighter heart.
24 Hour Review

Shifts in perception are also known as miracles.

Desert animals prepare for the storm of the day.

The unexpected can be quite refreshing.

Don’t try to be spiritual. Be present.

With eyes of wonder, even a faucet can turn you on.

Even with a heavy load, in nature, you can bear the weight.

Use less toilet paper. Pledge to make conservation your commitment.

No matter where you are, you’ll be somewhere else… now!

No comments: