Sunday, June 22, 2008

What We Fear

About 10 days before leaving on retreat, I developed sensitivity in a lower right bicuspid. I watched it for a few days, but it got worse so I made an appointment to go to the dentist, just four days before leaving town.

I knew I was getting more stressed about leaving and I knew I had started grinding my teeth in my sleep, but the sensitivity was to heat and I was concerned about the health of the tooth.

I’ve always had dental issues. As a child, I once had a severe earache for days that progressively overtook my consciousness to the point where I was unable to function – the result of an infected tooth. So teeth – dentists and pain – don’t enliven me.

And one of my greatest fears is getting caught somewhere without a dentist. You can imagine – in my mind, I created the entire scenario – I am in Crestone – alone on retreat and I need a dentist – of which – in my imagination – there are none available. And this scenario ran through my mind a couple of hundred times during my last week of preparation.

My visit to the dentist proved fruitful. A quick analysis produced the diagnosis of Stressed to the max – grinding of teeth and a high bicuspid that had shifted my bite. A couple of grinds and viola´ – it was done!

Fast forward to yesterday – I am at the ISSSEEM conference and I run into a friend from Boca. He is sitting with a couple on the patio along Boulder Creek enjoying a light evening meal. “Oh” my friend says, “I just was talking about your trip t Crestone for retreat. I’d like to introduce you to John, he is from Crestone.” John and I exchange hellos – and just as he was preparing to leave he offered me his card. “Call on me when you are in Crestone for anything you need,” he says. “I live within minutes from where you will be.”

I glance at his card and note: John Short, DDS. I met, the only dentist who lives and works in Crestone. Law of Attraction…?

And speaking of fear…

Fear rises up. It is the flame of the fire.
A cool steady breath tames this fire.

Trust comes from the deepest source
that transcends time, thought and action.

Faith resides within one’s own being,
within you -- within me.

Digging is no longer a requirement to find the way.
Only the gentle loving moving away of the debris,
that covers truth.

Truth – is as solid as stone, unmoving, sharp-edged
and rounded at the same time.

Like the whispering pines,
it moves with the wind and yet,
is always rooted in the soil that is fertilized with
the suns warm rays, with the light of love.

It’s an ordered world.
Actions are expressions of truth,
that shows its maturation.

Dig deep into being observant,
into acute awareness and then,
Chuckle—because it is all a mysterious puzzle
that has ten thousand outcomes.

1 comment:

Mitchell Cantor said...

Having a Trans-In-Dental Experience?

Love, Mitch