Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Warming Up to Global Warming

My friend Carri inspired me to warm up on global warming tonight. It was an innocent phone call while driving home from work. “Liz,” she said, “I am now working with socio-conscious companies who care about the environment. They are green, eco-friendly and promoting alternative products to sustain the environment.”

I felt as if I was out of my element. Yes, I’ve heard these words, but in that moment, it hit me; I have not done my homework, nor taken any steps to really make a difference.

My inaction probably comes from the belief that one person doesn’t really matter. Then I remembered The Starfish Story by Loren Eiseley.

One day a man was walking along the seashore. He noticed that during the night many starfish had washed upon the beach. As he strolled along, he noticed a small figure dancing in the distance. It made him chuckle to think of someone celebrating life in such an uninhibited way.

As he drew closer, however, it became apparent that the figure was not dancing. Instead, she seemed to be repeatedly performing some ritual. He drew nearer still and noticed that the small figure was a child. She was methodically picking up starfish and tossing them into the surf. He paused for a moment, puzzled, and then asked, "Why are you throwing these starfish?" "It's high tide," she replied, "If I leave them on the beach, the sun will soon dry them and they will die. I am throwing them into the ocean so they can live."

The man considered her actions, impressed with the child's thoughtfulness. Then he motioned up and down the miles of the beach. "There must be thousands of starfish along here," he said, "You cannot possibly make a difference." The young girl stopped. Her face darkened. She chewed thoughtfully on her lower lip, "You're probably right," she said softly. She looked down at the sand. Then she leaned over, carefully picked up another starfish, pulled back and arched it gently into the sea. With a tone of gentle defiance, she said, "But I made a difference for that one."

Is it possible that one act, by one person, can really make a difference in the issues surrounding global warming?

OK, I missed Al Gore’s An Inconvenient Truth. I barely know how to recycle. I throw out plastic bags and I’ve been persuaded by friends that the Prius is ugly. Bottom line, I’m not carrying my weight in this crisis. So I’ve decided to learn a little more.

Fortunately, a recent report entitled Stop Global Warming: A U.N. climate change report released April 6, details the possible effects of global warming -- food shortages, more hurricanes, more wildfires, coastal flooding and more.

I decided to find out what I can do and there is a plethora of information on the web and in a multitude of periodicals.

Hans Verolme, director of the global climate change program of the World Wide Fund for Nature says,"Doing nothing is not an option."

Here’s what we can do to contribute to creating a healthier planet and a sustainable world.

Buy Products That Have Earned the Energy Star

Turn Off Everything You Don’t Need Turned On.

Go Green in Driving, Buying, Building, Shopping, Traveling, Investing, Eating, Drinking and Educating Yourself and Family.

I know I am warming up to stop global warming – as Verolme said, “Doing nothing is not an option."

No comments: