Monday, October 6, 2008

Held Captive


I have been held captive by the deserts call,
walking step by step through he scruffy underbrush,
careful not to disturb the prickly cactus.

High above the trees the clouds tumble in,
obscuring the snow capped peaks;
leaving me breathless...speechless.

Every cell of my body is enlivened here in the desert.
Words and thoughts do not root, each moment a sacred gift.

Plans and purposes meld with fleeting moments,
to quick to capture in poetry, prose or plots.

And yet, I walk along the path that has been forged by the hungry souls that prayed before me --- seeking serenity in solitude.

Here in the desert, on this monastery...
it is the ultimate experience of God laughing at the human plan.

And yet, it is truly Divine!

1 comment:

rhonda masure said...

Liz, You are a poetic luminary. Thank you for shining so brightly.