Monday, April 9, 2007

Tony Soprano... Role Model for Personal Growth?

The Soprano's are back!

As 9:00 rolled around, I was positioned like every other couch potato in America; chips in one hand, drink in the other.

What compels me to watch the Sopranos? I practice pacifism. I abhor violence. And even though I occasionally curse, I have faith that there are more appropriate ways to express ourselves than to use four letter words in every sentence.

So in the midst of scratching my head for an answer as to why I was watching this again....Janice Soprano, Tony's sister says, "You know Tony, you have really changed since the accidental shooting. You are not the same person you were before that episode happened."

Although Tony Soprano acted as if he didn't understand -- anyone who has ever experienced trauma in their lives, understands all too well.

Steven Covey said, "In the absence of wake-up calls, many of us never really confront the critical issues of life."

Haven't you noticed that Tony Soprano has changed? I think his shooting was a wake-up call.

Aside from his duties and responsibilities as a mob boss, he has displayed some interesting new characteristics in his personality.

The Tony Soprano we have known so well is now more tolerant, compassionate, empathetic, sincere, loyal and intuitive.

Each of these qualities are important signposts for our own personal development.

The personal growth movement is alive and well. Oprah, Dr. Phil, Deepak Chopra, John Gray and many others have opened the doors for personal exploration.

Who could have believed that Tony Soprano would too?

No comments: